Asthma is defined as a chronic inflammatory disease of airways characterized by increased sensitivity of the respiratory system to a variety of stimuli. There is wide spread narrowing of the air passages with outbursts of difficulty in breathing, cough, and wheezing. There are acute episodes mixed with symptom-free periods. Clinically the patient seems to recover completely after an attack.However, few times, the patient experiences some degree of airway obstruction daily. In unusual circumstances, acute episodes can cause death. Bronchial asthma occurs at all ages but predominantly in early life.
From an etiologic standpoint, genetic, environmental factors, such as viruses, occupational exposures, and allergens, contribute to its initiation and continuance.
1) Environment and air pollution causes of asthma are usually related to climatic conditions that promote the concentration of atmospheric pollutants and antigens
2) Season and place change where many flower pollens are floated in the air. The change of climate, humid atmosphere, cloudy weather or moving from village to urban area with more exposure to pollution, chemicals, smoke.
3) Occupation-related asthma is a significant health problem. Exposure to wood and dusts, biologic enzymes, serums, and secretions, metal salts, industrial chemicals, plastics, various dyes can lead to asthma.
4) Respiratory infections are the most common of the stimuli that evoke acute exacerbations of asthma.
5) Exercise is a very common precipitant of acute episodes of asthma
6) Emotional Stress and psychological factors can worsen or ameliorate asthma.
7) Eczema and asthma- eczema is one type of skin diseases that manifests with the symptoms of itching skin with red patchy spots and sometimes oozes fluids after itching.
8) Gastro esophageal reflux disorder and asthma. The GERD patients are more prone to get the asthmatic condition.
9) Pharmacologic drugs most commonly associated with the induction of acute episodes of asthma are aspirin, coloring agents such as tartrazine, beta-adrenergic antagonists etc.
1) Shortness of breath (difficulties in full breathing) is the common symptom of asthma. The patient may experience breathlessness and express it as suffocation or gasping for breaths. There is restriction of space for free flow of air during respiration.
2) Coughing-The body tries to expel out the antigen from outside that has been inhaled and is in the respiratory air ways and hence produces cough.
3) Wheezing or whistling sound-is produced when the air ways is narrowed due to swelling of inner mucosal lining in addition to secretion of mucus in it.
4) Cough with thick, white, sticky sputum.
5) Chest tightness-frequently occur as the bronchus get inflamed due to allergens and causes tightness of smooth muscles around the airways.
The diagnosis of asthma is established by demonstrating reversible airway obstruction. Diagnosis is made by spirometry. Positive wheal and-flare reactions to skin tests can be demonstrated to various allergens, but such findings do not necessarily correlate with the intrapulmonary events. Sputum and blood eosinophilia and measurement of serum IgE levels are also helpful but are not specific for asthma.
Elimination of the causative agent is the most successful means available for treating this condition. The available agents for treating asthma can be: drugs that inhibit smooth-muscle contraction, i.e., the so-called "quick relief medications" (beta-adrenergicagonists and anticholinergics) and agents that prevent and/or reverse inflammation, i.e., the "long-term control medications"(glucocorticoids, long-acting beta 2-agonists, mast cell-stabilizing agents etc.)
Homoeopathy can cure asthma. The length of the treatment or for cure would, however, vary from case to case. Factors like duration and severity of asthma and individual response to homoeopathic medicines decides the course and length of treatment
Homoeopathic Medicine Homoeopathy can cure asthma. The length of the treatment or for cure would, however, vary from case to case. Factors like duration and severity of asthma and individual response to homoeopathic medicines decides the course and length of treatment
Spongiatosta is a wonderful homeopathic medicine for asthma with dry cough. The cough in this case can be deep, barking, hacking type. Cough with extreme dryness, accompanied with whistling from the chest on inspiration. Difficulty in breathing which gets relieved by warm drinks. Dryness, hoarseness and wheezing with anxiety and fear. Cough caused in dry cold weather. Hawking. Barking, crowing or sawing cough. Rawness in chest. Especially suited to tubercular diathesis and fair complexion. Burning sensation in throat after coughing.
AntimoniumTartaricum is used for asthma with excessive, rattling cough. Rattling loose cough, and the lungs feel full of mucus. Mucus from the lungs which is difficult to expectorate. Respiration is rapid and difficult. Excessive suffocation that worsens on lying down, with a need to sit up.
Nux Vomica is a prominent medicine for asthma in winter. Cough with wheezing and oppressed breathing arise in cold weather. The cough that is loose with expectoration during the day but dry in the evening and night. Suffocative asthma attacks after midnight. Nux Vomica is also a great medicine for Asthma with GERD. Gastric disturbances; simple spasmodic asthmas; there is some relief by belching, the patient must loosen the clothing. It must also be thought of in those who drink much coffee or liquor
Carbo Veg show the most amazing results in asthma in aged people. Cough with burning pain in the chest. The expectoration is mainly yellow or pus-like and has sour, salty or putrid taste. Frequent need to take deep breaths. Wheezing and rattling of mucus and cough which gets worse in the evening. The cough worsens as one goes from a warm place to a cold place. Asthma that worsens with acidity or flatulency.
Natrum Sulphuricum is a very useful homeopathic medicine for asthma in damp weather. Cough with thick, ropy, green phlegm is present. Asthma aggravated between 4 am and 5 am.
Drosera Rotundifoliais used to treat asthma accompanied with dry and highly irritating cough. The paroxysms of cough follow each other rapidly. Talking may worsen the cough. Rough, scraping sensation in the throat may attend. Nocturnal cough.