How does Homeopathy Treatment work in Acne?
The main aim of the treatment is to reduce oil production, speed up fighting
bacterial infection, reduce inflammation and prevent scarring. Acne drug long time
to cure approximately 4-8 weeks during it skin may get worse before it gets better.
It can take or year to get clear skin. The treatment will depend on few factors like
your age, the type and severity of your acne.
- Retinoidsand Retinoid like drugs (Vitamin A)Medicines are cream, gels or lotion base. Function is to prevent plugging of the hair follicles
- Salicylic acid and azelaic acidThey are natural acid found in whole grains, cereals and animal products. Azelaic acid are 20% more effective than any other drugs. They are further more effective when combined with Erythromycin.Azelaic acid is optional in pregnancy and while breastfeeding.Side effects are skin discoloration and minor skin irritation.Salicylic acid may prevent plugged hair follicles
- Antibioticskills excessive skin bacteria and helps to reduce redness
- Dapsoneused in inflammatoryacne, mostly recommend in adult females. Side effects dryness and redness observed
- Antibiotics are indicated in severe acne. Oral antibiotics are recommended to
fight inflammation and reduce bacteria. Antibiotics should be used for short time to
avoid antibiotic resistance. Side effects include stomach upset and dizziness.
- Combine Oral and Contraceptive Four combined Oral Contraceptive are approved
by FDA, products are combine estrogen and progestin. Side effects include weight
gain, breast tenderness and nausea.
- Anti-Androgen Agents If oral antibiotics aren't helping, function like
blocking the effect of androgen hormone on the sebaceous glands. Side effects are
breast tenderness and painful period.
- Isotretinoin Powerful medicine for severe acne who doesn't respond to other treatments. Oral
consumption is very effective it requires close mounting because of potential side
effects like ulcerative colitis, increase risk of depression, suicide and severe
birth defects. Patient taking such treatment must participate in food and drug
administration approved risk management program.
Therapies are useful either alone or with combination of medicine.
- Laser and photodynamic therapy- light based therapies.
- Chemical peel -Procedure uses repeated application of chemical solution, like
salicylic acid glycolic acid or retinoic acid. Improvement is not long lasting, so
repeat treatment is usually needed.
- Extraction of black head/white heads (comedos) - Gently removal of white and black
with special tools by that clear up with topical medication. Side effects are
- Steroids injection- is used mainly for nodular and cystic acne. Inject steroid drug
directly into them for rapid improvement and decrease pain.
- Antimonium Crudum is indicated in acne filled with pus and which has covering
of yellow-colored crust. Pimples are mainly on cheeks that suffer from itching and
burning sensation which aggravates in night. Patient has gastric derangement, thick
coated white tongue. Craving sour food.
- Natrum Muraticum is used in mainly for oily skin acne on body, face, hairline
and back with greasy skin. Patient is thin and week. He feels and looks emaciated
even after eating well. Anemia is common concomitant. Sun heat generally aggravates
all symptoms. Craving salty food/ add more and more salt to his normal foods.
- HeparSulph Painful and more in the form of boils and abscesses. Patient with
unhealthy skin who have tendency to periodic painful and sensitive pimples. Pear
shaped pimples comprising of white pus, bleeding and ulcerating pimples on
scratching, lesion on lips and forehead. Aggravated touch intolerance to cold.
Increase in perspiration. Nature of anger and irritability at slightest cause.
Chilly patient means cold intolerance.
- Pulsatilla is indicated when acne is caused due to increased intake of rich
food. Like junk food-cakes, pastries and ice cream. With menstrual irregularities.
Patient sensitive to heat. Thirstlessness or absence of thirst tends to feel better
in open air.
- Silicea is indicated in acne with suppuration/cystic acne. Formations of pus
in pimples are offensive. Patients tolerate cold in any form. Skin aggravate in
winter. Patient has profuse perspiration on head. Skin is delicate and pale.
Obstinate constipation, swollen lump glands and acne on forehead and cheeks.
- Nux Vomica Pimples with gastric disturbances. Skin has red blotchy appearance.
Craving tea, coffee and other stimulants. Excessive spicy food stimulates gastric
derangement. Chilly patient, sensitivity to cold temperament is such that he gets
angered and irritated easily lean thin person.
- Berberis Aquifolium Acne that results in formation of scar. It helps to clear
- Calendula/Hammamelis/Echinacea angustifolia and many many more
There are many homeopathic creams /ointments for acne, which applied locally, give immediate relief. As homeopaths, we recommend it along with proper consultation but if your problem is small go ahead buy and use it!