What is ANEMIA?
Anemia is a condition that develops when the blood in the body lacks enough red blood cells or hemoglobin (part of red blood cells that binds oxygen).Anemia can happen if:
1) Body doesn't make enough red blood cells
2) Bleeding causes to lose red blood cells more quickly than they can be replaced
3) Body destroys red blood cells
Investigations like the red blood cell count, the hematocrit, and the hemoglobin are relevant to an anemia diagnosis.
3) Pale or yellowish skin
4) Irregular heartbeats, palpitations
5) Shortness of breath
7) Hair loss
At first anemia can be mild such that it goes unnoticed and symptoms and signs become more evident as anemia worsens.
Causes and types of anemia
Iron deficiency anemia: is the most common type of anemia; caused by inadequate production of haemoglobin and thus shortage of iron in body. It may also be caused by blood lossfrom heavy menstrual bleeding or an ulcer or cancer or from regular use of some medicines, especially aspirin.
Vitamin deficiency anemia: In addition to iron, body also needs folate and vitamin B12 to produce enough healthy red blood cells. If there is inadequate intake or absorption of these vitamins, then it can lead to vitamin deficiency anemia, i.e. pernicious anemia.
Anemia of chronic disease: Certain diseases such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, kidney disease, and chronic inflammatory diseases can interfere with the production of red blood cells.
A plastic anemia: is a rare, life-threatening condition in which the body doesn't produce enough red blood cells. It can be arise due to infections, autoimmune diseases, medicines and exposure to toxic chemicals.
Anemia associated with bone marrow disease: like leukemia and myelofibrosis, varies from mild to life-threathening
Hemolytic anemias: develops when red blood cells are destroyed faster than bone marrow can produce them
Sickle cell anemia: is a hemolytic anemia(inherited) that is caused by an abnormal hemoglobin that makes red blood cells assume a crescent (sickle) shape and die prematurely
Other anemias: There are several other forms of anemia, such as thalassemia and malarial anemia
Few major risk factors for developing anemia include:
1) A diet lacking iniron, vitamin B-12 and folate
2) Having an intestinal disorder that affects the absorption of nutrients such as Crohn's disease and celiac disease
3) Heavy menstruation that causes the loss of red blood cells.
4) Chronic conditions that cause slow, chronic blood loss from an ulcer or other source can deplete body's store of iron
5) Inherited anemia, family history such as sickle cell anemia.
6) Certain infections, autoimmune disorders, exposure to toxic chemicals, blood disorders, and medicines that affect red blood cell production.
7) People over 65 years of age are at increased risk of anemia.
If anemia is left untreated, it can cause several health problems like:
1) Severe fatigue such that one can't complete everyday tasks.
2) Pregnancy with folate deficiency anemia is more likely to experience complications such as premature birth.
3) Anemia can lead to a rapid or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) and enlarged heart or heart failure.
4) Sickle cell anemia or severe anemia due to severe blood loss can be serious and lead to life-threatening complications, and can even be fatal.
5) Severe fatigue such that one can't complete everyday tasks.
Have a diet that includes a variety of vitamins and nutrients, including:
1) Iron-rich foods include iron-fortified cereals, dark green leafy vegetables, and dried fruit.
2) Folate and its synthetic form folic acid can be found in fruits and fruit juices, dark green leafy vegetables, green peas, kidney beans, peanuts, and enriched grain products, such as bread, cereal, pasta and rice.
3) Foods rich in vitamin B12 include dairy products, fortified cereal and soy products.
4) Foods rich in vitamin C include citrus fruits and juices, peppers, broccoli and strawberries help increase iron absorption.
Homeopathy treatment can cure anemia by giving constitutional remedies in early disease condition. In chronic and advanced cases homeopathy offers palliative treatment without any side effects. The medicine is selected on the basis of constitutional similarity which includes the state of patients physical characteristics, mental state, familial tendencies and case history of present complaints. Few homeopathy medicines that can be given in anemia are described below:
China Officialism:The patient suffers from iron deficiency anemia as a result of severe blood loss. The blood loss can be the result of a traumatic injury, excessive menstrual loss or bleeding from any part of body like throat, bowels, nose, etc. The person is exhausted, weak and suffers from severe fainting spells. Vertigo with marked weakness. The body feels cold and pallor is marked. There is heaviness of head with loss of sight, aversion to exercise, sensitive to touch, ringing sensation in ears, intolerance to fruits. There is violent palpitation of the heart. Trembling with numb sensation. China acts both as a hemorrhage controller as well as enhances the amount of blood after the bleeding episodes.
Is suited in young adults who are anemic who flush easily, have cold extremities, are oversensitive to slight noises and have pesudoplethora. Their complaints are worse after any active effort and have weakness from mere speaking or walking. Vertigo, pulsating headaches and ringing in ears. Females who are anemic due to excessive bleeding during periods. The blood flows abundantly and the periods last much longer than normal.
Therapies are useful either alone or with combination of medicine
Sepia is highly indicated when there is indifferent attitude towards family and life. They show disliking/aversion towards family members and friends who were once loved with great affection. They lack interest in doing any work. Tendency to avoid both physical or mental labor, constantly depressed with marked irritability. Weeping tendency, desire to be alone and an aversion to consolation or sympathy. Sepia can be used in women with menstrual irregularities or those around menopausal age with tendency to hot flushes.
Is a good medicine for anemia to treat in tall, slender persons, who are very sensitive to external impressions, weakened by loss of animal fluids. The patient complains of profuse and offensive stool with extreme weakness. Appetite of such persons increases and they feel hungry immediately after eating. It helps in controlling excessive hair fall where the patient complains of falling of hair in bunches. Patients have craving for meat, salty things, cold drinks and ice creams. Hemorrhagic tendency with violent palpitation with anxiety while lying on left side and weakness and trembling from every exertion.
Lecithinumhas action on blood and is usually given to increase the number of red blood cells and the amount of hemoglobin in anemic individuals. Mental exhaustion weak with shortness of breath, forgetful, dull and confused. The headache in the occiput will be pulsating type and will crave for wine and coffee.
Due to various reasons homeopathic medicines can help improve body state to improve absorption.