What is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is one of the commonest endocrine conditions seen in the world today, and it is commonest in women of middle age. Hypothyroidism is the term used to describe a thyroid gland that is not able to function to its optimum capacity. This results in deficiency of the thyroid hormones, T3 and T4.
What are the symptoms of Hypothyroidism?
- Weight gain due to no apparent reason
- Slowness, dullness and sluggishness, both mentally as well as physically. The patient often complains of not being able to do as many activities as fast or efficiently as before
- Easy exhaustion due to even slight exertion
- Intolerance to cold with cold sweats and coolness of the skin to touch
- Constipation due to sluggish digestion.
- Reduced appetite
- Heavy bleeding during periods
- Hair becomes brittle and fingernails break easily
- Dullness in thoughts, understanding and mental application
Why does Hypothyroidism occur?
- Deficiency of Iodine: This is the commonest cause of Hypothyroidism. Iodine is an essential mineral required for the production of thyroid hormones, and less iodine in the diet means less iodine available for the thyroid gland.
- Underdeveloped thyroid gland: If the thyroid gland does not grow properly after birth, it cannot function properly and results in a hypothyroid state.
- Thyroid disease: If the thyroid gland is inflamed or attacked due to any cause, it can result in a corresponding decrease in thyroid function and cause symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- Radiation: If the thyroid gland is exposed to radiation therapy for cancers present in the neck, it can be damaged and result in under-functioning.
How does Homeopathy work in Hypothyroidism?
Mere compensation of thyroid hormones by external hormonal treatments help to manage the condition only temporarily. What is needed is a push to the thyroid gland to heal and begin producing the hormones itself. This is exactly what Homeopathic medicines do.
The constitutionally prescribed homeopathic medicines work intrinsically to correct the functioning of the thyroid and help to deal with the symptoms of Hypothyroidism in a more permanent and satisfactory manner.